Saturday, June 1, 2013

Day Zero

Day Zero
     June 1, 2013

Testing 1..2..3.  I've never done a blog before so this will be interesting.  Mostly it is to keep a record of my experiences to look back on at a later date, but is also intended to keep my family and close friends updated about my travels. 

Tomorrow morning, I fly into Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico in order to go to a Spanish immersion school for four weeks.  I took two semesters of Spanish in college but that was a couple years ago and I haven't been using it.  It's always been a dream of mine to become fluent in Spanish.  I'll be staying with two different families while I'm down there.


I'm excited but have four main concerns:
1) My cell phone service is shutting off for a month and I'm not even bringing a phone with me.  I've become extremely dependent upon it for lots of things including using it as a wrist watch, an alarm clock, the weather channel, a gps, an address book, a camera, a music player, a means of contacting people, a computer, and of course a main source of entertainment.  People have long survived without their smart-phones, I'm sure I can too.
2) I don't speak Spanish
3) I'm an American in Mexico. Enough said about that one.
4) I'm a white American girl with blonde hair entering a country where American girls are kidnapped, raped and killed sometimes.

Also, I'm not looking forward to getting the apparently inevitable traveler's diarrhea.  But other than those things I'm pretty sure I'm going to have an amazing month!  I'm very excited.

Adios!

1 comment: