Saturday, June 8, 2013

Lazy Saturday

Even though I know how to get hot water in the shower now, I have yet to use the "hot" handle at all.  Completely cold showers are just fine for me, though today wasn't unbearably hot.

I had a very lazy day in order to try to recover as quickly as possible so I can go out and do fun things.  A lot of sleeping, and reading, and a little studying.

This morning I got the best massage I've EVER, ever gotten in my life.  With a 25% tip (because it was that good, and I plan to go back again - but mostly because change is next to impossible to come by) it cost me $38.86 for an hour.  It was a "spiritual therapy" session.  At the beginning and the end she rings this bell and moves around you and I'm pretty sure she was praying for bad spirits to leave me.  Also, near the end she did this tapping thing on my head and heart at the same time.  I'm into that kind of weird stuff so it was fun.  But the massage itself was WONDERFUL!  She even used scrubby lotion on my feet.   If I died right now I would die completely at peace because of this massage. 

It's super cheap to live down here.  For under $600 I get room and board and 3 meals per day for an entire month!  And then spending money lasts quite a while because everything is so cheap and there isn't very many things I need to spend money on! I'm digging the financial part of this trip.

Claudia was babysitting the cutest little boy this morning, about 5 years old.  He kept talking and talking to me even though I didn't know what he was saying.  It was adorable.  I asked him if he likes Yakult and he did so I went and got us both one. 

Breakfast was sliced fruit.  There is one fruit that is the color of carrots and the texture of pear that I'm not a big fan of.  It tastes like a whole lot of nothing.  Lunch was some soup that looked like throw-up.  It was called pozole.  It tasted OK if you didn't look at it while you were eating it.  It really did look like it was a bunch of food scraps pulled out of the trash and made into a soup.  For a side there was a hard tortilla closed up around some cold mashed potatoes.  A "taco".  It was really yummy.  It was served with chewy yellow juice today.  The chewy part was the texture of and tasted like grass.  (Yes, I've eaten grass before so I do know what I'm talking about here.)  For dinner, there's yogurt.  Because I haven't been drinking enough of that lately.  Claudia will be gone all tonight and tomorrow so I have to fend for myself for food!  It will be fun to go eat somewhere tomorrow.

I got to Skype with my older sister and see my beautiful niece today and I also got to Skype with my Poppi (my dad) tonight so I'm a very full girl. 

I plan to read for the rest of the evening and sleep.  I starting reading my doorstop which is a big book in English called "The Memory Keepers Daughter".

Things I've noticed/learned:
-Soccer here is like football season in the United States except take all the excitement and amount of fans and times it by ten.   (Everyone is into it here: mothers, daughters, fathers, sons, and children.)
-Change for money is impossible to get.  When planning to go buy something it's important to try to have the exact amount because you won't be getting any change back most likely.  Carrying small denominations is necessary.

Hasta luego! (See you later! or Until next-time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment