Friday, June 14, 2013

In the Routine

Thursday...

I've been trying very hard not to compare Mexico to the United States and to just accept it for what it is.  Same thing with the language.  When I don't compare Spanish to English, I comprehend the rules much faster and easier.  I enjoy learning Spanish a lot.  I also enjoy experiencing this culture, but at the end of the day I sure am glad that after my trip, I get to go back and live in the United States.  I'm very blessed to be one of the (few?) people that has many different opportunities to become successful in life.  Living in a "Third-World" or "developing" or "newly industrialized" country (whichever term meets your political correctness needs)  makes me even more grateful for the opportunities given to me. 

The fires back home have made the news here apparently, because both Claudia and Wouter talked to me about it. 

Mexican time:  I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to Mexican time but I've come to enjoy it.  It's much more laid back.  For example, class starts at 9 a.m. officially, but I kind of just go upstairs when I feel ready, teachers trickle in and get coffee around 9 a.m..  There is never a rush to start something right on time.  Except food, Claudia has been very prompt about when meals are served. 

Speaking of food, for breakfast I had quesadillas.  Lunch was gorditas and veggie soup with Squirt.  Gorditas are my new favorite Mexican food.  I've adjusted to the timing and size of the meals.  I'm no longer starving my face off by 2 p.m. lunch time, or super hungry for dinner. 

Today was super calm.  Not much to report.  School, nap, exercise, shower, study/work, dinner (which was cereal of course) and more sleep.  This is my normal routine here and I kind of dig it

Things I've noticed/learned:
-Children are permitted by their parents to stay up MUCH later here.  I'm pretty sure I go to bed before most of the children ages 6 and up.
-Ming said you aren't supposed to tip the taxi drivers but are supposed to tip at restaurants.  I'm going to need to consult a second source to verify this.


Friday...

Breakfast was normal food: eggs and hash browns.  Lunch was steak tacos with avocado and bean soup.  Chewy light brown juice to drink.

School was good.  I'm clicking much better with my afternoon teacher now.  Friday afternoon class was less fun this time.  Dealing with personalities is sometimes a hard thing to do.  Next week a new lady will be in my class.  She doesn't seem to know as much Spanish as I do, and I'm worried it will hold me back.  I've been developing my skills rapidly and I'd like to continue.  Possibly I will sign up for one-on-one tutoring if this is the case, but I'll give it a go on Monday to see.  Anyhow, I plan to study a lot this weekend.

I took a 3 hour nap this afternoon.  Back in the U.S. I very rarely nap but it's exhausting here.  Tonight I'm going to a concert in El Centro with some people at 9 p.m..  Isaias, my speaking partner, invited me to go.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to be just us, but I invited 3 people from my school who would like to go.  I say the more the merrier.

Things I've noticed/learned:
-I don't think I've mentioned, but there is no microwave in the house.  I would starve to death if there was no microwave in my house.
-All the food here is natural.  Very healthy, no additives or any of that junk.  I am super observant of this with my food and so in that manner, I'm in food heaven.
-There is a lot of gay people in Guadalajara which I was surprised about because this country is so traditional.  (It's like the San Fransisco of Mexico.)  Afterall, it is the second largest city in Mexico, it makes sense that it would be a little more modern.
-There are no dumpsters here and there and no one has an outside trash can.  Every morning people with a bell ringing walk on by pushing a big trashcan.  When you hear the bell you know it's time to take your trash out and give it to them.  It's 7 days a week. 

Que tengen un buen fin de la semana!  (Everyone have a good weekend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment