Friday, June 7, 2013

Settled

Woke up very swollen in the throat and feeling bad.  However, the day got better.

I arrived here five days ago and I must admit that I really enjoy it here.  I don't miss the United States at all yet.  I'm very happy being here.  (The only thing that would make it better was if it wasn't so hot and I had a couple of friends.)  Next week people my age are arriving at the school so that is exciting for me.  I hope they aren't all American, just because it's more fun to experience people of different cultures.  Also, it's very easy not having a cell phone.  I haven't even noticed not having one, and I don't miss it at all!  After day two, I pretty much haven't thought about it.

Some things I forgot to mention yesterday:
-I saw the daughter take the dog out to go pee.  The dog DOES go outside to go the bathroom. 
-I figured out why there was no hot water.  "Calor" is "hot" and "Frio" is "cold".  In the shower there are two handles, one with a "c" for "calor" and one with an "f" for "frio".  The handles were switched.  I kept turing on the "hot" handle and getting water that was cold.  (Yup! Took me two days to figure that one out!)
-Real insults are still "your mom" phrases.  I heard a couple guys fighting in the streets and they kept saying "your mom" this and "your mom" that.  Being American, this is of course very funny to me because "your momma" insults haven't been insulting, I'm pretty sure, since before I was born. 
-It's normal to sell things out of your house.  Here is pastries on the weekends.  Across the street and down two houses is a "bar" out of a house.  One more house is a tiny convenient store.
-I had to buy Yakult (to protect my stomach from the antibiotics) which is a really popular Japanese yogurt drink.  They sell it everywhere.  There are a lot of yogurt drinks which is great.  I can totally dig drinking my yogurt!

School was good except that the power was out on that block which meant it got really hot in there because there were no fans.  For the second class we had group conversation class with all levels.  We sat around downstairs and played a mixed version of spin-the-bottle and truth-or-dare.  One guy ended up having to stand on the street corner and scream the Spanish version of "cock-a-doodle-doo!" which is "kee-kee-kada-kee!".  We also played telephone which the teachers thought was hilarious, and we read tongue-twisters.

Tonight, I hope to Skype with my older sister and plan to rest more in order to try to start feeling better.  Que tengan buen fin de samana! (Everyone have a good weekend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment