Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sick Day

At 10 p.m. last night it was still 93 degrees!  I wake up about three times a night because of the heat.  Speaking of night, people park their cars literally inside their houses at night if they don't have a garage, which is usually the case.  They park them in their courtyard which is the inside of their house.  A very strange sight at first.

Today, I woke up with what I figured was Strep-throat because it seems as though every time I go on an airplane I get that.  Claudia told me to go see a doctor close by at 9 a.m..  I have class at 9 a.m., though, so my teacher (the one that doesn't speak any English) went to the doctor with me.  I have no idea what sickness I have because I couldn't understand what they were saying but apparently it's less dangerous than Strep so I'm relieved to know that I probably won't be dying from this.  The crazy thing is that it was only 30 pesos to see the doctor!  That's just a little more than $2!  (No, I'm not forgetting to add any zeros.)  I bought flashcards yesterday that cost me two doctor's visits!  I got prescribed an antibiotic and two other medicines and the total was about $20.  Their Universities are free so there are many doctors in the area which helps to keep the price way, way low according to Wouter.  [Side note: in case you are wondering how to pronounce "Wouter" it's like Walter.  Just say Walter with a crazy European accent and then you will be saying it correct.  Also, Claudia is pronounced like a cloud in the sky...Cloud-ee-ah. Claudia.]  After we went to the doctor, my teacher walked me through the market.  It is just an entire parking garage floor (enclosed) of people selling fruits and vegetables.  It's amazing.  Being out in the "real world" was a good way to learn today.  Also, I am very excited because I now know how to talk in future tense as well as present tense.  In the next couple of days I will learn to speak in past tense.  Very exciting.

Claudia made chicken noodle soup for lunch, of course, because I am sick and she is motherly.  She puts avocado in the soup which is so very yummy.  We drank more chewy juice.  This time is was purple chewy juice.  For breakfast I had 5 different kinds of fruit, all sliced up and put on a plate very decoratively.

The rest of my day I anticipate will be me sleeping, resting and reading.  I might go get ice cream in a bit for my throat.  (Yes, I know milk products aren't good for it but ask me if I care.)  And then more sleeping.  And then more chicken noodle soup.  And then more sleeping.

Things I've noticed/learned:
-Mexicans are very polite.
-If you don't know Spanish but you are actually trying to speak it, they very much appreciate that and will help you out as much as they can.  (They are extremely nice about it.)
-There are trucks that drive around playing "music" like an ice cream truck, but these trucks carry gasoline for people that run out of gas.  I guess it must happen often.  The speakers on them sing "Zeta! Zeta! No hay Zeta!".  Zeta is the brand and "no hay" means "there is no" or in this case "you have no".  I hear/see one about 2-3 times per day.
-Many people are into American things like Las Vegas, NYC, American music, and some English phrases like "I love you" or "spring breakers" (except that one is spelled "espring breakers" - not joking.)

Off to go find ice cream.  Adios!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are sick... but it sounds like an adventure nonetheless! I love hearing about it! Thanks for keeping it going, in sickness and in health :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like to read it! I am more encouraged to write when I hear that people are enjoying it. It sure is an adventure. As soon as I knew I needed a doctor and a pharmacy I was excited to see what it was like here in Mexico. Rumors are true! It's super cheap and easy to get medicine.

      Delete
  2. Oh what kind of ice cream did you end you getting!?

    ReplyDelete