Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Night at Home

In the future, I need to wait to write my posts until the END of the day.  But, today I will write two posts because I can.

After lunch I tried to Skype with my sister.  First, the power on THIS block went out during the time I was supposed to call her.  Then when it came back on my Internet connection was bad.  I walked to the school and used the computer there and the connection still wasn't very good.  We'll try again tomorrow.

Because the power was out at the house, I figured instead of sweating my face off inside, I'd go study in the park and sweat my face off there instead.  So I did.  A group of high school girls came up to me in the park that knew less English than I knew Spanish.  They wanted to interview me for their English class on video camera.  I was pleased to do a few interviews.  They were definately in their first English class ever, so luckily the questions were written out in English on a piece of paper.  It was a cute experience. 

A poor older couple decided it would be a good idea to feed the pigeons.  I thought for sure that today was the day I get pooped on because about 70 flew over my head, twice.  Again, they flew too close for comfort, which undoubtedly was entertaining to the people feeding the birds, but to the rest of us sitting peacefully in the park - not so much.

There is a man that owns the "bar" across the street and down a few doors and is always doing something in the block, whether it's talking to people, or being on a mission of some sort.  He seems very friendly but sort of up to no good at the same time.  Today he tried to talk to me as I was entering the house.  Once I got inside Claudia saw who I was talking to and said "No. No, no. Es no bueno."   I won't be talking to that person again (not that I wanted to in the first place).

What I am assuming is Claudia's boyfriend (you know what they say about assuming, though)  has been over baking away.  I think he's made about 8 cakes and several pans of cupcakes tonight already.  I'm not going anywhere near the kitchen because it is so. stinking. hot. in there with the oven going.

It really wants to rain!  It's lightening and thundering and everything but it still feels hot like the sun lives next door.  The lighting is so close and the thunder is SO loud.  It's probably actually really scary right now, but I love lightening and thunder, and might not be smart enough to be scared yet. We'll see...

Things I've learned/noticed:
-The son of the family here rides a motorcycle.  After I'm confident he's good at it I'll learn how to ask if I can ride with him.
-People walk around with umbrellas, which is smart because it's portable shade.
-Dinner is a funny experience to me because it is literally just sitting out on the table and is up for grabs between 7-8, whenever you get hungry, and it's not dinner like dinner in America.  Tonight, for example, was just a plate of sliced cantaloupe and the box of cereal was sitting out with a bowl in case I wanted to eat cereal too.  Other foods were normal today. (Breakfast was eggs with hash browns and lunch was hot dogs.)
-The house shakes whenever a truck goes by, or a car for that matter, just not as badly.

I would really like to see what El Centro, the 5 block pedestrian area in the middle of town, is like on a Friday night, unfortunately, as it is with throat sicknesses, it is usually at its worst in the morning and the evening.  I'm feeling this evening's rationing of pain so it's time to read and relax. Adios!


2 comments:

  1. Power outages were fun back there, and candle light nights are just plain relaxing. Candle lit nights with thunder and rain was some of the best sleep I remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes it sound nice. The power was only out for about an hour. I was glad when it came back on because the fan started working again.

      Delete