Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 3

It's like a giant insect Apocalypse lately.  If you know me, you know this means I'm in a living nightmare.  (It's not really THAT bad, but there has been a lot more mosquitoes and BIG insects around lately.)  There was a GIANT dead cockroach in the kitchen sink at school all day.  Whenever I went to wash my hands I was sure it was going to come back alive and attack.

Other than bugs, it's been a pretty simple week.  Seems like just another school week like in college except I'm in Mexico.


Monday....

Breakfast: eggs and tomato     Lunch: meat and rice     Dinner: cereal

The handle for the hot water on the bathroom sink hasn't been working for a few days so I've been washing my face with cold water.  Recently I started brushing my teeth using tap water and so far I've remained healthy. 

There was a new lady in my class today named Janine.  She is 50 yrs old and super duper nice.  I like her a lot.  Unfortunately, she knows a lot less Spanish than I which prevented me from learning anything new today. After classes I asked the school owner, Wouter, to please sign me up for one-on-one classes instead.  He said he would.  It's more expensive but I think it will be worth it. 

After lunch I went to a cafe with the two new girls who arrived this week, both 50 yrs old, and just like Janine, Nancy is very nice.  She's from Canada but is only here for one week.  I think she is just trying it out and if she likes it she'll come back for longer another time.  We each studied our own things and drank coffee and talked.  The interesting thing is that it seems the majority of people who come to learn Spanish are ESL teachers.  I'm in the minority. 

I take refuge in hanging out with dogs and watching sports.  Both don't require that we speak the same language and so it's a nice rest from reality.  I watched a documentary about the 2006 NFC championship game between the Colts & Patriots with Brady vs. Manning.  It was a good conclusion to another good day in Mexico. 


Tuesday....

Bug infestation has risen its stakes.  There are now giant flying bug/wasp things.  It's not looking good for my survival here.  One landed on my back and another one I had to get out of the shower before I could get clean.

Today I still had group classes.  My one-on-one classes start again tomorrow.  

This bed is killing my back.  I cannot wait to be back in a normal bed again.  One that doesn't feel as though I'm sleeping directly on a box-spring covered by merely a sheet. 

Tonight I went to the cafeteria in El Centro to have chips with guacamole for dinner and I ran into Bradley, the guy who arrived the same week I did.  It was nice to hang out and talk.  He was a pastor for a Vineyard church for 32 years and so we got to have some good conversation and I really enjoyed my evening. 


Wednesday...

Some kind of bug has eaten a hole all the way through my roll of toilet-paper.  What kind of forsaken creature does that!  Blech!

I think my head might explode for over-learning today.  All circuits are on the verge of being fried.  Today was definitely a take-a-nap-after-school kind of day.  I'm very happy about being able to learn so much information.  I look forward to being able to master the lessons once I get time back in the states.  I think I'll sign up for a Spanish class at a local college/university and then join some sort of group that meets and chats a couple of times a week.   I might have to take an English class once I am finished also because I cannot spell in English at all anymore   (Thank goodness for spell-check!) and grammar is quickly falling in line.  Basically what is happening is my English words are getting said with an accent, getting spelled phonetically and adjectives are switching positions with nouns.  It's silly. 

Tonight, I plan to Skype with my little sister in California and so I am happy to say that it will be another great conclusion to another good day in Mexico.


Things I've Noticed/Learned:
-The observance of which side of a man a lady needs to walk on to be considered "not for sale" is still practiced at night in certain areas of Guadalajara.  (FYI:  Ladies on the inside, hookers street-side.)

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment